Getting To Know Fit Girl Nikki
Getting to know you, getting to know alllll about you…. 🙂
I’ve been interviewed a few times formally and informally and I always love answering questions. I decided to compile some of my favorite questions and post them here! If you can think of any other questions you would like me to answer feel free to put them in the comments! Enjoy!
- What music do you listen to during your workout?
- I’m a music junkie… I typically have my iPhone or iPod Nano with me during a workout. Both are full of songs in every genre. I just hit shuffle and see where I land! Every now and then I’ll even get a Christmas song. My favorite songs are usually in the Pop, Alternative Rock and R&B genre.
- How do you switch up certain routines daily/weekly to stay motivated?
- Week to Week my reps and sets change. For instance one week might be 4 sets 8-10 reps and next will be a combination of drop sets and super-sets and the next might be 4-5 sets of 15-25 reps. My splits (body part/day) doesn’t change but I do try to mix up the exercises so I am not always doing the same routine. Right now, during contest prep, I am doing much more cardio than I would be doing in off-season. I try to mix that up as well to keep things interesting.
- What foods do you eat pre workout?
- Typically some form of protein and a veggie on low carb days; or the same with a sweet potato on higher carb days. Lately I’ve been eating a lot of ground turkey. 🙂
- What do you eat or do after your workout to make sure you got the most out of your workout?
- Typically I’ll eat the same as what I eat before a work out or a protein shake. Casein late at night or Whey earlier in the day. ETB (Eat The Bear) Cinnamon Bun is my favorite Whey Protein at the moment! For a late night treat I’ll mix a little chocolate protein powder with PB2 (powdered PB) and a little bit of water until it reaches a pudding consistency. Chill it in the freezer for 5-10 min and enjoy!
- Also, I take a recovery supplement at bedtime, ZMA-5 by SNAC.
- What other supplements are you taking?
- I take a lot of basic supplements such as, Omega 3/Fish Oil, Vitamin C, D, Probiotic, Thyroid Essentials, Magnesium, and BCAAs (branch chain amino acids). Many of these I get from Swanson Vitamins. (Barlean’s Omega Swirl is by far the best tasting fish oil in history! Click here!
- Additionally I some times will take a preworkout. I train mostly at night so I avoid it sometimes as it can affect my sleep. However I do like ETB’s Mango preworkout. It tastes great and did not give me jitters; I am able to plow through my workout. I’d definitely recommend it.
- How did you get into fitness? Bodybuilding?
- I had been depressed, grieving the loss of someone incredibly close to me for about 3 years. He passed away ironically on Good Friday April 6th 2007… My weight fluctuated over the years until I reach my heaviest, 151 lbs (I am 5’4″) In 2010 things shifted for me; the light bulb went off in my head and I decided I wanted to truly live… not just exist as I had been. I joined the gym and began training to run my first 5K. After a few years on running races (5Ks and 10Ks) and placing in the top 10 consistently; I decided I needed another challenge and began looking into body building. I also became a certified personal trainer. I had the opportunity to share my journey in the book “Bag Ladies” which is available on my site. Click here if you would like to read more!
- What is your “WHY”, what drives you?
- My goal has always been striving to be a better version of myself. Not perfection… but constant progress. I am not happy being complacent. I also want my loved one who passed to be proud of me… That’s always in the back of my head.
- What type of mentality do you take into a workout?
- I’m focused when I am in the gym. I like to be efficient and deliberate with my time there. When performing an exercise I like to really concentrate on the movement and my form, creating a mind muscle connection to help ensure the right muscles are performing the work.
- When you don’t feel like working out how do you motivate yourself to just get out there and do it?
- In the beginning when I first started working out, my motivation used to be thinking about how I’d feel afterwards. I knew if I could just get to the gym and finish my workout I’d feel great about myself. Now, it’s so ingrained in my life that I would feel bad if I did not go. My motivation is seeing the progress in my physique and in the amount of weight I can lift.
- Whats your end goal in fitness?
- Long term health. This is my lifestyle… I want to be healthy, fit and enjoy life to the fullest.
- Tell me about your meal prep and eating regiment.
- I usually prep food twice a week on Sunday or Monday and Wednesday or Thursday. I’ll make a big batch of ground turkey and veggies usually seasoned with Flavor God. I eat 5-6 times day with my first meal being egg whites and oatmeal. In the off-season, I save my treats or cheat meals for the weekend. 🙂
- How important do you think your eating habits are to your success.
- Food is everything. In my opinion it is the most important part and most difficult part for folks to get right. Let’s do the math. Since I eat 5-6 meals a day, I’m eating a minimum of 35 times a week… I train only 6 times a week. As my coach would say, I am putting the fork to my mouth way more than I am lifting! One thing I noticed early on in my fitness journey.. was that when I trained and did not change my eating habits, I saw no change in my body or on the scale. Once I cleaned up what I was eating… the weight began dropping off quickly.
- What interests you besides fitness?
- I enjoy being creative and crafty. I also am a former freelance graphic designer and enjoy designing images and t-shirts for my shop. Click here! I also enjoy spending time with friends and family…. and eating! LOL I love food! <3
- Name one thing that others might not know about you.
- My friends and family know, however my followers may not know, I recently adopted a dog and she has her own Instagram page 🙂 Go follow her! @lovescarlett___ She is a terrier mixed with I believe dachshund and chihuahua
- …and yes I made her bed. I also will be launching another shop selling dog treats (healthy, of course) and accessories. Stay tuned!
- What’s your favorite treat?
- Hi my name is Nikki and I am a chocoholic! If I could live in a bag of trail mix (with chocolate and pb pieces) I would be happy. LOL In addition to anything chocolate and trail mix I love a good gourmet burger and fries! 🙂
- If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be?
- You have the power to do and be whatever you want. Set goals, believe in yourself, get to work, stay consistent, don’t make excuses and never quit! Be a #goaldigger
Comment below with any other questions you have for me!! 🙂
“The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can’t are both right.”
– Henry Ford