Video: Cooking With Nikki – Vegan Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash (2 medium size)
Onion (1 medium size)
Seasoning: Garlic (1 tablespoon minced/diced), Sage (15-20 leaves), Salt (1-2 teaspoons), Pepper (1 teaspoon)
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (4 cups/ 1 carton)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2 tablespoons)
Prep: 30-40 minutes
Cook: 6 hours
Total Time: approx 6 -7 hours
I know you may be thinking ok, this is a crockpot recipe let’s just dump everything in– set it and forget it. We will get to that part but just bear with me for a few minutes. There are two steps we will do first that will help bring that extra depth of flavor that feels like autumn in a bowl. Many soup recipes call for cream to add in during the final steps; I chose to omit this step to be mindful of calories. Last note, scroll all the way down for tips on peeling and dicing the butternut squash.
- Peel, De-gut and Dice Butternut Squash (scroll down for help with this)
- Set oven to broil (low)
- Take 1/4 of Dice Butternut Squash and place on baking sheet, spray light coat of olive oil and season with ground pepper.
- Broil Squash until brown with some black char marks (trust me) approx 15 min
- Dice Onion
- Sautee Onion in olive oil for a few minutes then add 1 tablespoon of garlic.
- Let Onion and Garlic simmer until brown (ohh yessss) then remove from heat.
- Dice Sage leaves finely.
- The squash in the oven should be done now; remove from oven.
- Now we’re ready for the crock pot. Add the uncooked squash to the crockpot first, then broiled squash, onions and garlic, sage, salt and vegetable broth.
- Set crock pot on low and let it do it’s thing for approx 6 hours.
- When the squash is ready, it will be incredible soft and will fall apart easily.
- Transfer the mixture carefully to a blender, or use an immersion blender to blend everything until it looks like elegant baby food. Blend as little or as much as you like.
(Tip: If you don’t eat the whole pot in one sitting like I was tempted to, store the rest in mason jars, give as gifts or freeze for a rainy day.)
Need help peeling and dicing the squash?
Cut both ends of the squash. Poke with fork all over. Microwave each squash for 3-4 minutes. Then carefully peel. It will be so much easier… but it will also be hot so be cautious. Once peeled, slice in half, remove the guts/seeds and dice like a pro!
Here’s a video showing the difference a few minutes in the microwave makes. 🙂
If you try my recipe and post on social media, tag me and use hashtag #fitgirlnikki