06 May In Video - Legs/Glutes, Video - Misc/Other Equipment by Nikki Tags: Exercise Library
Smith Machine Donkey Kicks
- Choose an appropriate starting weight (20lbs shown in video).
- Kneel on the floor under the smith machine bar, use an exercise mat if necessary and bend at the waist with your arms extended in front of you (perpendicular to the torso) in order to get into a kneeling push-up position ( you can also rest on your elbows as shown in video above) arms should be approximately shoulder width. This will be your starting position. Tip: If you are unable to unrack the bar yourself by pointing your toe or flexing your heel, you may need someone to assist you.
- As you exhale, lift up your right leg until the hamstrings are in line with the back while maintaining the 90-degree angle bend. Contract the glutes throughout this movement and hold the contraction at the top for a second. Tip: At the end of the movement the upper leg should be parallel to the floor while the calf should be perpendicular to it.
- Go back to the initial position as you inhale.
- Complete all of the recommended repetitions then switch legs.
Variations: You can use no weights or ankle weights instead of smith machine.
Video Credit – Fit Girl Nikki LLC
Exercise Caption – Bodybuilding.com