Step Ups to Overhead Press
- Stand up straight while holding a barbell in front of you at your collarbone and stand upright behind an elevated platform (such as the one used for spotting behind a flat bench). This is your starting position.
- Place the right foot on the elevated platform. Step on the platform by extending the hip and the knee of your right leg. Use the heel mainly to lift the rest of your body up and place the foot of the left leg on the platform as well. Breathe out as you execute the force required to come up.
- As you ascend, press the barbell over your head and hold it.
- Step down with the left leg by flexing the hip and knee of the right leg as you inhale.
- Repeat with the right leg for the recommended amount of repetitions and then perform with the left leg.
Variations: Just like lunges, this exercise can also be performed by alternating between the right and the left leg every time until all repetitions have been performed for both legs. Also, dumbbells can be used. Beginners can start with only the bodyweight, especially if they have balance issues.
Video Credit – Fit Girl Nikki LLC
Exercise Caption – Bodybuilding.com